Saturday, June 13, 2009

More Digital TV

Update to Original Post 3/28/2009

As you know, I have a laptop TIVO.

I have made a few small upgrades.

The first is to "N" networking. The laptop always had "N", but the router was "G". Moving to "N" allows me to watch the HD version of Hulu without ever running out of buffer. Yipee. The "N" network also allows me to watch shows on the laptop from my other computer, but that just pointed out how sad the graphics are on the other computer.

The second is to use Chrome browser for Hulu. Once I had N in place I still had frames dropped without any issue with throughput. I tried Chrome and it was buttery smooth. After I did this I searched and found that Firefox and Flash just don't get along. Score one for Google.

Hulu + N network + Chrome = :-)

The third upgrade did not work out so well. I was disappointed way back when I spent $20 extra for a firewire hard drive and then found the cable did not match my notebook. I have been using USB 2.0 forever. I finally broke down and spent another $10 on the firewire cable. Verdict - I have raised the amount of money wasted on firewire to $30. I saw no difference.

2 comments: